Our busy lives keep us on our toes from morning to evening. But we never think so much about our feet until a pain jolts us. Nearly 50 percent of leg pain is caused in our heel and the condition is called plantar fasciitis.
Plantar Fascia is a connective tissue located on the sole of the foot. This thick band begins from the heel and stretches till the toes. When this tissue is overused or over stretched the person experiences intense pain called Plantar Fasciitis.
How is plantar fascia useful to us?
- It acts as a shock absorber for the entire leg
- It forms the longitudinal arch of the foot
- It lifts the arch to prepare the leg for ‘take off’ (when you are preparing t walk or run)
- It also stabilizes the joints during impact with the ground
Plantar fascia, though a sturdy structure, is very susceptible to injury due to the degree of stress it takes. Let us understand it this way, each day a force equal to three times our body weight passes through our foot. This amount increases while running, so plantar fascia is prone to injury and overuse.
Whom does it affect?
- Athletes, especially those involved in some degree of running and jumping
- People who are on their feet almost the entire day
- Those that suddenly becomes very active after a long period of inactivity
- Running on hard ground
- Flat feet or high arch
Is there any Plantar Fasciitis Management?
Minor pains can be cured by
- Resting the foot
- Lose weight
- Run on softer surface
- Wear better-supported shoes
- Apply ice; it gives instant relief but only temporarily
For a long term permanent treatment stretching exercises are the best method. Plantarfaciitisrehab has scientifically proven stretching programs which ensures that you get back on your feet without any restrictions.
There are some precautions you can take once plantar fasciitis sets in
- Give running a rest until inflammation settles
- Applying ice is a great way of soothing pain
- Start with the stretching exercise slowly but regularly
- Wear sturdy shoes that provide adequate support and proper fit.
Plantarfaciitisrehab is the best place to cure plantar fasciitis from its roots.